Your funding explained for EU students with settled and pre-settled status

Your funding explained for EU students with settled and pre-settled status

Many of you with European passports may be wondering how Brexit has affected your access to student funding, and particularly for new students, there will be significant changes.

Student Finance have confirmed that those students who were eligible to apply for a Tuition Fee Loan for a course which started before the academic year and are continuing for the remainder of their course, will remain eligible for the Tuition Fee Loan whether they apply through the EU settlement scheme or not, subject to the usual restrictions on years of previous study.

However, it does appear that if an existing EU student decides to change course, they will be looked at under the new rules for their eligibility for home fee status, and tuition fee or maintenance loans.

You will have been given settled status if you were able to demonstrate that you have lived in the UK for at least 5 years and continue to live here. If you have settled status, and are otherwise eligible, you should be able to receive a Tuition Fee Loan and a Maintenance Loan, just as home students do. You should also be charged the home rate of fees.

Those EU nationals who are living in the UK and have been here for less than 5 years should have applied for pre-settled status, and providing they continue living in the UK, they must upgrade their status to settled’ once they have been here for 5 years. If they do not upgrade their status, then it will lapse, and they will have lost the right to live and work in the UK.

Students with pre-settled status who are otherwise eligible, should be charged the home rate of fees, and should be able to access Tuition Fee Loan only, but can receive Maintenance Loan also if they are migrant workers. If you want more information about being a migrant worker, the please contact the Student Advice Service, and we will be happy to advise you.“Your funding explained for EU students with settled and pre-settled status”